[R-pkg-devel] pandoc version used in winbuilder

Lenth, Russell V ru@@e||-|enth @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Wed Jun 26 20:54:52 CEST 2019

All,

How does one tell what version of pandoc is being used by winbuilder (and probably other related CRAN-submission processes)?

I have a package with several HTML vignettes, for which I use a custom style. I had decided to add the pandoc option '-strip-comments' to my script (my vignettes have quite a few HTML comments that are used for indexing and are not needed after the vignettes are built). When I built the package and submitted it for checking to winbuilder (for the development version of R), the result was that each vignette failed to rebuild, with a message that pandoc.exe has no option -strip-comments. However, that option has been available since pandoc version 2.0; and its latest version is 2.7.3.

This is not a big deal for my package, so I just removed that option and then all was OK. But still, why are we having to rely on a relatively ancient version of pandoc?

Thanks

Russ

Russell V. Lenth  -  Professor Emeritus
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
The University of Iowa  -  Iowa City, IA 52242  USA
Voice (319)335-0712 (Dept. office)  -  FAX (319)335-3017