[R-pkg-devel] Maintainer a Group

Joris Meys Jor|@@Mey@ @end|ng |rom ugent@be
Wed Jun 26 14:11:37 CEST 2019

FWIW, at our department I'm the designated "maintainer" for most of the
packages developed here. While I worked on quite a few of them, I'm not
involved in all. We chose to do it this way exactly for the reasons
mentioned in this thread, and out of respect for the wishes of CRAN. I'm
not a researcher myself but officially "technical staff" (i.e. I have a
fixed position at the uni and I'm not a professor). That makes me the
"natural" responsible for following up on our packages.

That said, people leaving the research department shouldn't be that much of
a problem, as long as there's some system to keep track of packages
developed. When that's in place, the package can be designated to another
member of the research group and the information on CRAN can easily be
updated. I don't think CRAN would object to that :-) It just requires the
research group to stay aware of previous work. And that can sometimes be a
challenge in itself...

Cheers
Joris

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM John Muschelli <muschellij2 using gmail.com>
wrote:

> So a single email is not a mailing list and it's a research group, so not
> really a corporate entity.  I don't see WHY explicitly this isn't allowed.
> I understand that this decision has been made with a lot of thought in
> mind, though.  This would make it much easier for research groups to not
> orphan packages because the maintainer/student leaves and we can't really
> centralize our code bases.
>
> Best,
> John
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 5:48 PM Max Turgeon <Max.Turgeon using umanitoba.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > "Writing R Extensions" is quite explicit about this:
> >
> > For a CRAN package it should be a *person*, not a mailing list and not a
> > corporate entity
> >
> > Best,
> > Max
> >
> > On Jun 25, 2019 3:45 PM, John Muschelli <muschellij2 using gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Package Devs,
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on whether a maintainer can be an
> > organization/group instead of a person for CRAN?  I don't see there being
> > an issue as long as the "maintainer" is responsive and fixes issues.
> Just
> > figured I'd ask before trying this for some packages.
> >
> > Best,
> > John

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/