[R-pkg-devel] .Rd, LaTeX and Unicode

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Wed Jun 19 11:59:51 CEST 2019

Sorry, I failed to clarify that the link to ltnews.pdf was the point of my message. In some ways it is definitive from the LaTeX team.

My understanding is that option 'mathletters' is not the default in ucs, since it produces math Greek and Hebrew letters also in text mode.

Georgi Boshnakov

-----Original Message-----
From: Serguei Sokol [mailto:serguei.sokol using gmail.com]
Sent: 19 June 2019 09:51
To: Georgi Boshnakov; Martin Maechler; Hugh Parsonage
Cc: r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] .Rd, LaTeX and Unicode

On 18/06/2019 17:10, Georgi Boshnakov wrote:

> Since April 2018 'utf8' is the default input encoding in LaTeX, see
> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/doc/ltnews.pdf and they added some symbols in December.
Interesting ... but still not sufficient. I have a fairly recent latex
system:
$ latex --version
pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018/Mageia)

but unfortunately utf8 alone (and even including
\usepackage[mathletters]{ucs}) cannot compile utf8 math expressions.

I have also tried a full scale test on a tex file obtained with
$ R CMD Rd2pdf --no-clean pkgname
where I replaced

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

by

\usepackage[mathletters]{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

and it did not compile either. In addition, I had to replace every
occurrence of

\inputencoding{utf8}

by

\inputencoding{utf8x}

after what pdflatex worked like a charm.

Serguei.