[R-pkg-devel] .Rd, LaTeX and Unicode

Serguei Sokol @ergue|@@oko| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 19 10:50:33 CEST 2019

On 18/06/2019 17:10, Georgi Boshnakov wrote:

> Since April 2018 'utf8' is the default input encoding in LaTeX, see
> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/doc/ltnews.pdf and they added some symbols in December.
Interesting ... but still not sufficient. I have a fairly recent latex
system:
$ latex --version
pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018/Mageia)

but unfortunately utf8 alone (and even including
\usepackage[mathletters]{ucs}) cannot compile utf8 math expressions.

I have also tried a full scale test on a tex file obtained with
$ R CMD Rd2pdf --no-clean pkgname
where I replaced

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

by

\usepackage[mathletters]{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

and it did not compile either. In addition, I had to replace every
occurrence of

\inputencoding{utf8}

by

\inputencoding{utf8x}

after what pdflatex worked like a charm.

Serguei.