[R-pkg-devel] Another CRAN-only bug

David Hugh-Jones d@v|dhughjone@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 13 06:59:52 CEST 2019

Hi Duncan,

Of course I appreciate the value of a centralised repository, and I
acknowledge the hard work that goes into maintaining it. That does not mean
that it should be beyond criticism. I wrote out of frustration, but also
because I hope things could be better.

David

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 23:26, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/06/2019 4:57 p.m., David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Not for the first time, my package has a bug that isn't found on rhub,
> > travis, appveyor, or my local machine, but is found on CRAN. This time
> it's
> > Windows-only, so I can't even download a Docker image and investigate
> that
> > way.
> >
> > TBH I am not very enthused by having to treat CRAN servers as "ground
> > truth", when there seems no way to reliably reproduce their
> configuration,
> > figure out what versions of packages are used, etc. Am I missing
> something?
> > Is another world possible?
>
> Nothing is forcing you to release your package on CRAN.  The only
> advantage to doing so is that they maintain high standards, which means
> people trust them.
>
> Just put your package on Github, and anyone can use it, no matter how
> bad it is.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

> > Anyway, the error is at:
> >
> https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/huxtable_4.6.0_20190612_195453/Windows/examples_and_tests/
> > and it seems to relate to the openxlsx package, which is on 4.1.0.1 since
> > May 28 - presumably long enough for the latest version to be available on
> > win-builder. Any ideas would be welcome....
> >
> > David

> --
Sent from Gmail Mobile