[R-pkg-devel] [Rd] Making a package CITATION file from BibTeX

Dr Gregory Jefferis je||er|@ @end|ng |rom mrc-|mb@c@m@@c@uk
Thu May 30 02:31:30 CEST 2019

Dear Achim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out a perfect response to
my question. I hope it will soon be available for others to google!

@Inaki: Thank you. You are quite right. I intended to write to
r-package-devel. Achim's reply is still copied below for users of that
list.

All the best,

Greg.

On 29 May 2019, at 23:46, Achim Zeileis wrote:

> [...]
>
> (1) You can use read.bib() from the "bibtex" package to read the .bib
> file containing the relevant reference.
>
> (2) This gives you a "bibentry" object that can be turned into the R
> code generating it with format(..., style = "R") from the basic
> "utils" package.
>
> (3) Then you can writeLines() this R code on the console or
> writeLines(..., "CITATION") to a CITATION file.
>
> (4) Optionally you can also include a $header in your bibentry with a
> short introductory sentence. Or if you have multiple references to go
> into the same CITATION you might want to include a $header for each
> and an $mheader for everything.
>
> A worked example is included below. Background information is given
> in: https://doi.org/10.32614/RJ-2012-009
>
> Let's assume that your BibTeX entry [2] is the first entry in a file
> called "my.bib". Then you can do:
>
> ## read first item from BibTeX as "bibentry" object
> b <- bibtex::read.bib("my.bib")[[1]]
>
> ## delete the bib key and add a header for the citation
> b$key <- NULL
> b$header <- "To cite nat.nblast in publications use:"
>
> ## turn the "bibentry" into the R code generating it
> b <- format(b, style = "R")
>
> ## write the R code to the console
> writeLines(b)
>
> bibentry(bibtype = "Article",
>          header = "To cite nat.nblast in publications use:",
>          author = c(person(given = "Marta",
>                            family = "Costa"),
>                     person(given = c("James", "D"),
>                            family = "Manton"),
>                     person(given = c("Aaron", "D"),
>                            family = "Ostrovsky"),
>                     person(given = "Steffen",
>                            family = "Prohaska"),
>                     person(given = c("Gregory", "S", "X", "E"),
>                            family = "Jefferis")),
>          doi = "10.1016/j.neuron.2016.06.012",
>          journal = "Neuron",
>          month = "Jul",
>          number = "2",
>          pages = "293-311",
>          title = "NBLAST: Rapid, Sensitive Comparison of Neuronal
> Structure and Construction of Neuron Family Databases",
>          volume = "91",
>          year = "2016")
>

>> I think what I need is the opposite of RefManageR::toBiblatex [3].
>> This seems like it should be a common need, so I feel sure I must be
>> missing something, but I can't seem to google up any hints.
>>
>> With many thanks,
>>
>> Greg Jefferis.
>>
>> [1] http://github.com/jefferislab/nat.nblast
>> https://cran.r-project.org/package=nat.nblast
>> [2]
>>
>> @article{Costa:2016aa,
>> 	Author = {Costa, Marta and Manton, James D and Ostrovsky, Aaron D
>> and Prohaska, Steffen and Jefferis, Gregory S X E},
>> 	Doi = {10.1016/j.neuron.2016.06.012},
>> 	Journal = {Neuron},
>> 	Month = {Jul},
>> 	Number = {2},
>> 	Pages = {293-311},
>> 	Title = {NBLAST: Rapid, Sensitive Comparison of Neuronal Structure
>> and Construction of Neuron Family Databases},

Gregory Jefferis, PhD                   Tel: +44 1223 267048