[R-pkg-devel] CRAN student assistants

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 16 16:55:26 CEST 2019

Hi all,

The thread seems to have drifted off topic. I really didn't want this
to devolve into a discussion about when cat() or message() is more
appropriate — I have complete faith in Jenny Bryan's ability to
understand technical tradeoffs and pick the most appropriate given the
constraints. I am most interested in understanding what level of
discretion CRAN's "Studentischer administrativer Mitarbeiter" have to
critique the implementation of R packages, particularly for packages
that do not yield R CMD check problems or otherwise violate CRAN
policies.

I mean no disrespect towards the CRAN maintainers (whose tireless
efforts are a crucial part of making R the success that it is), but I
don't think it's unreasonable to enquire as to who is involved in a
crucial piece of open source community infrastructure, and, if
students are involved, what their scope of work is and how they are
trained and supervised.

I do recognise that my question "Who are they?" may have been
perceived as overly intrusive. To clarify: I don't want to know names
or other personally identifying information, but I would like to know
in general terms how many there are, and what backgrounds they have.
Similarly, I don't want to know how much they are paid, just whether
or not they are volunteers or employees.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz