[R-pkg-devel] CRAN student assistants

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 14 17:23:49 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Several people on my team have received responses to their CRAN
submissions from new members of the CRAN team who appear to be student
assistants (judging from their job titles: "Studentischer
administrativer Mitarbeiter"). From the outside, they appear to be
exercising editorial control[^1] and conducting design reviews[^2].

CRAN is a critical piece of R community infrastructure, and I am sure
these students have been surrounded by the proper checks and balances,
but it's not obvious what their role is from the outside. I'd really
appreciate knowing a little more about them:

* Who are they?

* Are they paid employees or volunteers?

* What is their scope of work?

* How are they trained?

* If we believe that they have made a mistake, how do we request
  review from a senior CRAN member?

* They appear to be able to apply additional discretionary criteria
  that are not included in R CMD check or documented in the CRAN policies.
  Is this true? If so, what is the scope of these additional checks?

Hadley

[^1]: The devoid package was rejected because the student assistant
did not understand the purpose of the package.

[^2]: The gargle package was rejected because the student assistant
believed that the use of cat() was incorrect. It was not.

--
http://hadley.nz