[R-pkg-devel] data in R package

Ralf Stubner r@||@@tubner @end|ng |rom d@q@n@@com
Mon Apr 29 15:09:06 CEST 2019

On 29.04.19 11:03, Raffaele Argiento wrote:
> we are developing a R package and we would like to include as an
> example  published data that we have taken from a paper. Is this
> allowed ? Where can I find the policy about distributing data through
> the R Package

From the CRAN policies
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html>:

  Packages should be of the minimum necessary size. Reasonable
  compression should be used for data (not just .rda files) and PDF
  documentation: CRAN will if necessary pass the latter through qpdf.

  As a general rule, neither data nor documentation should exceed 5MB
  (which covers several books). A CRAN package is not an appropriate way
  to distribute course notes, and authors will be asked to trim their
  documentation to a maximum of 5MB.

  Where a large amount of data is required (even after compression),
  consideration should be given to a separate data-only package which
  can be updated only rarely (since older versions of packages are
  archived in perpetuity).

Besides these technical questions, one also has to consider legal
questions: Under which license may one distribute the data?

Greetings
Ralf

--
Ralf Stubner
Senior Software Engineer / Trainer

daqana GmbH
Dortustraße 48
14467 Potsdam

T: +49 331 23 61 93 11
F: +49 331 23 61 93 90
M: +49 162 20 91 196
Mail: ralf.stubner using daqana.com

Sitz: Potsdam
Register: AG Potsdam HRB 27966
Ust.-IdNr.: DE300072622
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Stefan Knirsch, Prof. Dr. Dr. Karl-Kuno Kunze