[R-pkg-devel] What constitutes insufficient merit of an r package?

Thu Apr 25 18:56:26 CEST 2019

I don't think this can actually be answered except by CRAN
maintainers, and I would guess they will use the US Supreme Court's
definition of obscenity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it>*.

I would guess that this would be used to turn down packages of
interest to a very narrow group of users ("me and the two people
working on this project"), or with only a small number of functions
whose functionality replicates base-R functions (or small/obvious
wrappers around base-R functions), or functions from an existing
package.

I agree that it would be interesting to have examples of packages that
had been turned down for lack of novelty.

===
* from Wikipedia:

In 1981 Justice Stewart commented about his second thoughts about
coining the phrase. "In a way I regret having said what I said about
obscenity—that's going to be on my tombstone. When I remember all of
the other solid words I've written," he said, "I regret a little bit
that if I'll be remembered at all I'll be remembered for that
particular phrase."[13]