[R-pkg-devel] can't commit changes to a package on R-Forge

Sat Apr 6 13:39:58 CEST 2019

On 06/04/2019 6:39 a.m., Georgi Boshnakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was given admin access to an R package developed on R-Forge, which I have not used before. I installed a command line svn client, checked out the package
>> svn checkout svn://geobosh@svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/fints/
>
> update, etc works fine, until I try to commit the changes:
>
>> svn commit -m "update by Georgi"
> svn: E170001: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E170001: Authorization failed
>
> The commit command doesn't ask me for username/password and all my attempts were in vain. Google search finds similar queries but the answers didn't help.
>
> I can't find any way to make it ask me for credentials and will appreciate any help.

I believe r-forge uses ssh public keys for authorization.  The manual
(http://download.r-forge.r-project.org/R-Forge_Manual.pdf) mentions the
possibility of password authentication, but I think that was dropped
several years ago.  You need to upload your key in the Account
Maintenance page:  detailed instructions are in the manual.