[R-pkg-devel] staged install fails on Linux VM?

Wed Mar 13 22:44:38 CET 2019

  When I try to "R CMD check" a local copy of the lme4 package with
recent R-devel it consistently fails as follows *unless* I  first
"export R_INSTALL_STAGED=0".

** checking absolute paths in shared objects and dynamic libraries
mv: cannot move
'/media/sf_Documents/Rpkgs/lme4git/lme4.Rcheck/00LOCK-lme4/00new/lme4'
to '/media/sf_Documents/Rpkgs/lme4git/lme4.Rcheck/lme4': File exists
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
Warning in library(pkg_name, lib.loc = lib, character.only = TRUE,
logical.return = TRUE) :
  there is no package called ‘lme4’

  This may be a consequence of my weird setup (Linux VM with shared
folders imported from on a 'real' MacOS HFS file system) [race
condition?], and I can use the workaround above, but I'm but I'm curious
if anyone else has encountered this (and if it indicates some problem
that's likely to bite me again in the future).

  cheers
    Ben Bolker