[R-pkg-devel] CRAN submission examples don't run

Joris Meys Jor|@@Mey@ @end|ng |rom ugent@be
Tue Mar 5 12:56:08 CET 2019

Dear Timothy,

Uwe meant to include that code in the _examples_, not in your actual
functions. Whenever an example is expected to open a web page, use
if(interactive()) to avoid it from being run by the test infrastructure.

On a sidenote: It would make sense to add this as a first check to
functions which can only work when called interactively. That's up to you.
However, beware of errors created when the function is not run
interactively, as this would also cause your examples to give errors.

Cheers
Joris

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 11:56 AM Horia Yeb <horia.yeb using gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank Uwe for the answer,
> But the purpose of the package is –when the input data is dealt with– open
> a .html page. Does that mean in my R code I should write :
> [....]
> if(interactive())
> {
>     .Call(C++ code)
> }
> In my c++ code the interactive part is a    *system(html_path);*    is
> there an equivalent C++ condition to check if interactive?
>
> So either I protect the whole C++ function with the interactive check,
> either I protect the system() call?
>
> Thanks, Uwe for the interactive() function I'm new to R and don't know all
> the functions.
>
> Regards,
> Timothy
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 11:35, Uwe Ligges <ligges using statistik.tu-dortmund.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Apparently your checks wait for the brower beeing closed.
> >
> > Do not expect interactions in the examples. Please only run non
> > interactive functionality in the examples and enclose ingteractice parts
> > within
> >
> > if(interactive()){
> >
> > ...}
> >
> > Best,
> > Uwe Ligges
> >

> > On 05.03.2019 11:10, Horia Yeb wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I am still trying to submit my first package, I've corrected a few bibs
> > and
> > > bobs and submitted with running examples. On my computer running check
> > > --as-cran, the examples run perfectly, but on submission they don't
> seem
> > > run for some reason.
> > > Here is the return from submission, 3 NOTEs ( the first one is checking
> > > CRAN incoming feasibility ...) .
> > >
> > > ----
> > > [snipet]
> > >
> > > * checking compiled code ... OK
> > > * checking examples ...
> > > ** running examples for arch 'i386' ... [53m] NOTE
> > > Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
> > >                  user system elapsed
> > > DataViz-package 0.05   0.02 1844.87
> > > throwchart      0.03   0.00 1319.79
> > > ** running examples for arch 'x64' ... [49m] NOTE
> > > Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
> > >                  user system elapsed
> > > DataViz-package 0.03   0.00 1319.66
> > > throwchart      0.02   0.01 1619.35
> > > * checking PDF version of manual ... OK
> > > * DONE
> > > ----
> > >

> > > So I think that the examples aren't running at all rather than taking
> 50m
> > > to run. The examples run an R function calling C++ function that
> > > systematically opens an .html file in a browser. I could see this as a
> > > problem maybe?
> > >
> > > When looking at the pdfs in the package.check in examples the pdf file
> > > "Package-Ex" is   empty/not working , could this be a reason for the
> > > malfunction? Or is it normal?
> > > Here is the report :

> [...]

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/