[R-pkg-devel] shadowing a method from the stats package

Joris Meys Jori@@Mey@ @ending from ugent@be
Sat Jan 12 14:27:36 CET 2019

Hi,

technically you don't need permission for this. You only need permission if
you tamper with the namespace of the stats package, which you don't. You
just hide a function from another package, which is rather common actually
(eg dplyr::lag() and stats::lag() ).

Then again, I'm not sure this will always work, as you rely heavily on the
search path for your function to be found before the one in stats. I would
be interested as well in hearing how this can be solved in a more robust
way, but I can't really come up with something myself. Interesting problem!

Cheers
Joris

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:14 PM <qxacur using use.startmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I created a package for working with a new probability
> distribution called unifed. The source code can be found at
> https://gitlab.com/oquijano/unifed .
>
>     This distribution is suitable for GLMs. I have included a a
> function called unifed in the package that returns a family that can
> be used with the glm function.
>
>     For a unifed glm, it is necessary for the dispersion parameter to
> be equal to one. The summary method of the glm class does this
> automatically for the poisson and binomial distributions and I would
> like the same for the unifed. In order to achieve this, I am
> including a summary.glm function in the package so it shadows
> stats::summary.glm when the package is attached. This function is
> actually just a wrapper around stats::summary.glm.  It simply checks
> if the family is unifed; If this is the case it calls
> stats::summary.glm with dispersion=1 and otherwise it simply calls
> stats::summary.glm with the same parameters.  Therefore introducing
> this in the namespace does not break or change the behavior of any
> existing code that uses summary.glm
>
>      According to the CRAN policies I need permission from the
> maintainer of the package for doing this. The maintainer of the package
> is the R core team. To whom should I write to ask for this permission?
> Otherwise is there a different way in which I could achieve the right
> default behavior and respect the CRAN policies?
>

> Thank you for your time.

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/