[R-pkg-devel] shadowing a method from the stats package

qx@cur m@ili@g off use@st@rtm@il@com qx@cur m@ili@g off use@st@rtm@il@com
Fri Jan 11 21:59:27 CET 2019

Hello,

    I created a package for working with a new probability
distribution called unifed. The source code can be found at
https://gitlab.com/oquijano/unifed .

    This distribution is suitable for GLMs. I have included a a
function called unifed in the package that returns a family that can
be used with the glm function.

    For a unifed glm, it is necessary for the dispersion parameter to
be equal to one. The summary method of the glm class does this
automatically for the poisson and binomial distributions and I would
like the same for the unifed. In order to achieve this, I am
including a summary.glm function in the package so it shadows
stats::summary.glm when the package is attached. This function is
actually just a wrapper around stats::summary.glm.  It simply checks
if the family is unifed; If this is the case it calls
stats::summary.glm with dispersion=1 and otherwise it simply calls
stats::summary.glm with the same parameters.  Therefore introducing
this in the namespace does not break or change the behavior of any
existing code that uses summary.glm

     According to the CRAN policies I need permission from the
maintainer of the package for doing this. The maintainer of the package
is the R core team. To whom should I write to ask for this permission?
Otherwise is there a different way in which I could achieve the right
default behavior and respect the CRAN policies?

Thank you for your time.