[R-pkg-devel] using @inheritParams in documenting data

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sat Jan 12 13:44:52 CET 2019

Hi Troels,

Always good to see someone work on packaging with so much energy.

On 12 January 2019 at 08:46, Troels Ring wrote:
| BUT where and how to put the @inheritParams CMB I cannot find documented.
| Otherwise it seems to run OK

I fear you are getting confused between 'roxygen2' and base R.

'roxygen2' is a very handy and powerful add-on package extending R. But none
of its variables, (which conveniently all start with a @) will be documented
in the proper manual, Writing R Extension.

You question about \describe, however, is about Rd which is base R. And that
very command is 'shadowed' by roxygen2 which generates that section. That is
not unlike your previous question about exporting / registration.

Personally, I see value in working old-school here, and continue to argue
that one should be familiar with the _basic_ and _portable_ commands in
Writing R Extensions before putting another layer on top.  Just how I find it
helps to explain what Rcpp does if one has a mental image of the underlying
'SEXP .Call(funcname, SEXP, SEXP)' it is working with.  So I do use roxygen
to create Rd files but I also spent a decade or so writing Rd files -- and
quite a few people (hi, Duncan) still recommend doing it by hand.  I think it
helps. And you can mix and match.

Also, a decent trick is to search on GitHub with 'user:cran' to restrict your
search to the mirror (thanks, Gabor!) of CRAN packages. For just about any
question, it quite likely that there will be someone who has been there
before among the now (almost) 13,700 packages out there.

Dirk