[R-pkg-devel] package fails with parallel make - would forcing a serial version work?

Satyaprakash Nayak @n248 @ending from cornell@edu
Thu Jan 10 22:54:22 CET 2019

Dear R package developers

I published a package on CRAN last year (sundialr) which is now failing
with as it is not make to compile a static library with parallel make.

In this package, I compile a static library (libsundials_all.a) from source
files of a third party. The specifics of compiling the static library can
be found at - https://github.com/sn248/sundialr/blob/master/src/Makevars

Now, I got the following error message from CRAN (actually, I was informed
of this before, but had neglected to fix it). Here is the message from one
of the CRAN maintainers ..

***************************************************************************************************************************************
This have just failed to install for me with a parallel make:

g++ -std=gnu++98 -std=gnu++98 -shared
-L/data/blackswan/ripley/extras/lib64 -L/usrlocal/lib64 -o sundialr.so
cvode.o RcppExports.o -L/data/blackswan/ripley/R/R-patched/lib -lRlapack
-L/data/blackswan/ripley/R/R-patched/lib -lRblas -lgfortran -lm
-lquadmath -L../inst/ ../inst/libsundials_all.a
g++: error: ../inst/libsundials_all.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [/data/blackswan/ripley/R/R-patched/share/make/shlib.mk:6:
sundialr.so] Error 1
*****************************************************************************************************************************************

It seems the package fails to generate the static library with the parallel
make. The easiest solution I could think of for this problem was to force a
serial version of make using the .NOTPARALLEL phony command in Makevars and
Makevars.win(https://github.com/sn248/sundialr/blob/master/src/Makevars). I
have made this change and it seems to work on my machine and on testing
with TravisCI and Appveyor(https://github.com/sn248/sundialr).

However, before I re-submit to CRAN, I wanted to get an opinion as to will
this be enough to get rid of the error with parallel make?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you!
Satyaprakash