[R-pkg-devel] Incorporating external library licensces (zstd license) within package

Travers Ching tr@ver@c @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Jan 9 20:18:06 CET 2019

Hi all,

I'm submitting a package that uses the ZSTD compression library, but
the submission was rejected because licensing issues in incorporating
zstd.

I'm looking towards the `fst` and `zstdr` packages as guidance on how
to handle it.  Here's what I gather:

* Use of the AGPL-3 license which seems to be able to cover the ZSTD
BSD licensce.
* Attach APGL-3 notice to all my source code files (excluding
auto-generated Rcpp source code).
* Add Facebook as author/contributor and add copyright notice for the
ZSTD library -- should I add the main ZSTD contributor/author (Yann
Collet)?  (Attached at the bottom is my DESCRIPTION file).

Are there any other issues I need to be aware of and fix before re-submitting?

Thanks!
Travers

Package: qs
Type: Package
Title: Quick Serialization of R Objects
Version: 0.11
Date: 2019-1-2
Authors using R: c(
    person("Travers", "Ching", email = "********@gmail.com", role =
c("aut", "cre", "cph")),
    person("Facebook, Inc.", role = c("aut","cph"), comment = "Bundled
ZSTD code"))
Maintainer: Travers Ching <********@gmail.com>
using the 'Rcpp' interface and the 'zstd' compression library.
License: AGPL-3 | file LICENSE
Imports:
    Rcpp, RApiSerialize
LinkingTo: Rcpp, RApiSerialize
RoxygenNote: 6.1.1
Suggests: knitr, rmarkdown
VignetteBuilder: knitr
Copyright: This package includes code from the ZSTD library owned by
Facebook, Inc.
BugReports: https://github.com/traversc/qs/issues