[R-pkg-devel] UBSAN Problems with Memory Sanitizer

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Wed Jan 2 17:02:28 CET 2019

On 2 January 2019 at 16:17, Maximilian Leodolter wrote:
| I just wanted to upload a new version of my package (IncDTW) but got the
| message that my old version causes the following error, even though it
| works perfectly fine.
|
| The error message says:
|
| runtime error: member call on address 0x7f4c77dcb200 which does not
| point to an object of type 'scheduler'
| 0x7f4c77dcb200: note: object is of type
| 'tbb::internal::custom_scheduler<tbb::internal::IntelSchedulerTraits>'
|

| The error messages are given here in detail
| https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/memtests/clang-UBSAN/IncDTW/tests/testthat.Rout
| and here
|
| https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/memtests/gcc-UBSAN/IncDTW/tests/testthat.Rout
|

| And this is the cran-github mirror of my package
| https://github.com/cran/IncDTW
|
| I have no idea where the error messages point to and what causes the error,
| even less how to solve it.
|
|  I'm new to C++ and RcppParallel and don't really know what to do. Can
| someone please help?

Rock, meet hard place. It seems you are getting an UBSAN error from an
external library. That can happen, and sometimes you get to explain it to
CRAN so that the package gets admitted.

Having glanced at the output below the page at
  https://cloud.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_IncDTW.html
I think there is little you can do on your end about the UBSAN issues.

I presume you did your part to make the NOTE from the vignette disappear?

Dirk