[R-pkg-devel] In R package directory, where to put results for some long-taking simulations I want to use in README / vignette?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Dec 17 21:58:37 CET 2018

On 17/12/2018 12:54 PM, Marta Karaś wrote:
> For my R package, I want to demonstrate some benchmark results that take a
> while to generate. I want to present the results in both README and
> vignette.
>
> I thought a way to go is to have a README.Rmd code chunk with generates the
> results with `eval = FALSE`, which I run in R console and save the table in
> some place within a package, and then read the saved table and display it
> in both README.Rmd (in a next chunk) and in the vignette Rmd file.
>
> Questions:
>
>     - What is the proper subdirectory (naming, location) I should save
>     the results into?

either data/ or inst/<your choice>/ would be fine.  Use data if you want
these to be easily available to package users, some private name if you
don't.

>     - Should I out this subdirectory into .gitignore, or rather keep them
>     (i.e., they would be available to anybody who downloads package's source
>     files from CRAN?)

What you put in .gitignore is up to you.  Do you want version control on
these files?  Usually derived objects like your benchmark results aren't
put in version control, you just put in the code to generate them.  But
in this case, you might find it interesting to compare current results
with historical ones, and version control would let you do that.

Duncan Murdoch