[R-pkg-devel] fate of functions with periods in name

Paul Johnson p@uljohn32 @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Sep 12 20:14:37 CEST 2018

I have not introduced functions with periods in their name before, but
recently I wanted to put a new version of "rbind.fill" in my package
rockchalk.  When I do the package check with R-3.5.1, I see a package
build warning:

Found the following apparent S3 methods exported but not registered:
  rbind.fill
See section ‘Registering S3 methods’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.

It is a function named "rbind.fill", not a method, obviously.

My CRAN interactions lately give me the idea that Warnings ought to be
treated like Errors.  I'll rename my function rbindFill to silence the
warning, but I wonder if I'm actually required to do so.

--
Paul E. Johnson   http://pj.freefaculty.org
Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis http://crmda.ku.edu

To write to me directly, please address me at pauljohn at ku.edu.