[R-pkg-devel] Submission to CRAN when package needs personal data (API key)

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @ending from effectivedefen@e@org
Fri Sep 7 13:07:47 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-07 01:18, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 01:16, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> When packages delete tests just for CRAN, the quality of the repository
>> suffers.  Users should be able to check an install by running the tests
>> that passed on CRAN and seeing them pass on their system as well.
>
> In my limited experience there are usually tests that can't run on CRAN
>   because they take too long, rely on external software or configuration
> that is absent, or just fail on CRAN only (which is naturally hard to
> debug). This seems normal, and having the ability to turn off some tests is
> useful. The fact that multiple workarounds have evolved to do this suggests
> that the need is widespread.

       Almost a decade ago I was told that certain tests in the fda
package took too much time on CRAN.  I was NOT going to hammer on my
co-authors to make those tests shorter.  I was happy I got those tests
at all!  So I wrote fda::CRAN() and for those tests that took too long,
I wrapped them in

if(!CRAN()){
   (tests that took too long to run on CRAN)
}

       I did it after being told repeatedly, (a) you cannot run those
tests on CRAN, and (b) you should not use that function "CRAN()"! Since
then, I've had other occasions to use it.

       Spencer Graves