[R-pkg-devel] Submission to CRAN when package needs personal data (API key)

David Hugh-Jones d@vidhughjone@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Sep 7 11:20:12 CEST 2018

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 09:01, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it's useful to think of 3 groups who might run tests:
>
>   - authors
>   - CRAN
>   - other users of a package.
>
> What Hadley was arguing for is that CRAN should identify itself to a
> package, so that by default a package could run different tests for
> CRAN than for other users.  I am arguing that they should run the same
> tests by default.

This seems like the crux. But there are occasions when authors want to
single out CRAN. Sometimes things just don't work on CRAN; the exact config
of CRAN servers is not always clear, so debugging can be hard; at some
point, it just gets easier to say skip_on_cran() or the equivalent. (The
same applies to some degree for e.g. appveyor/travis). I appreciate this is
an imperfect workaround. If the CRAN config were exactly reproducible eg
via a docker image, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile