[R-pkg-devel] Replicate solaris errors

Stefan Evert @tef@nML @ending from colloc@tion@@de
Mon Aug 13 17:36:24 CEST 2018

> On 12 Aug 2018, at 00:18, peter dalgaard <pdalgd using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have you tried asking CRAN for help? I mean, if you don't fix an obvious error, with a well-known cause, like the log thing, they'll get fed up and throw you off. However, fixing and then discovering an issue elsewhere is different, especially if you cannot easily reproduce it at your end.

When I did that for a similar problem with the 'sparsesvd' package – before Solaris was available via R-hub, so I really had no chance to chase down the problem without help from CRAN – I never got a response.

I later managed to identify and fix the problem by tedious trial & error via R-hub.

Symptoms were similar: build succeeded, but the package always crashed when running tests and examples, but only on Solaris.

The solution turned out to be that the 3rd-party C code my package wraps defines a C function named store(), which causes Solaris to segfault for reasons that I don't understand at all.  But renaming the function to anything else solved the issue.

Best,
Stefan