[R-pkg-devel] Proper way to document helper functions not accessible by user.

Eggleston, Barry beggle@ton @ending from rti@org
Mon Aug 13 15:08:02 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am working through my first submission and making good progress with the CRAN review system, but now I need to understand the best practice for dealing with helper functions.  I am building a package that only exports 12 functions for direct user access, but it has many helper functions not directly accessible to the user.  In my R code I am using roxygen2 to write my help pages.  I have written roxygen2 notes to create help pages for every function, but for all the helper functions I am using the keyword 'internal' so they don't show up in the index of help pages and available functions.  In future releases I may export these functions for direct access, but for now I want to keep them internal.  Within each help page of these non-accessible helper functions, I have placed '#None' in the @examples section, since nobody will be able to call the functions directly.  In my submission review I was asked to give examples for these functions, because my package still has the .Rd files for these helper functions in the submitted .tar.gz file.  How do I proper handle documentation of these helper functions?  Can I remove the roxygen2 notes that create the .Rd files for these helper functions, so the package does not contain .Rd files for them?

Thanks,
Barry