[R-pkg-devel] How to handle deprecated package dependency? 2 suggestions 1 question

Vincent van Hees vincentv@nhee@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jun 25 21:21:54 CEST 2018

Dear all,

One of my package dependencies was taken from CRAN a month ago, with
the CRAN message: "...check problems were not corrected despite
reminders" as displayed on the deprecated CRAN package page. I
immediately got in touch with the deprecated package maintainer and
learnt that he is trying to resolve the issue(s).

My suggestions/questions:

1 - Would it be an idea for CRAN to inform reverse dependency package
maintainers when a package is at risk of being taken from CRAN? For
example, by cc-ing them in the warning message? I think such a
heads-up could have helped to prevent the situation.

2 - At the moment the CRAN page for the deprecated package does not
tell me what I can do to help fix the issue:

"Package ‘GENEAread’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
Archived on 2018-05-25 as check problems were not corrected despite reminders".

Would it be an idea to display what those problems were to make it
easier for others, like me, to help fix the issue(s)?

3 - Can you advise on how I can help address the situation, such that
I can upload a much needed update to my own CRAN package GGIR? The
approaches I can think of are: (A) Help the deprecated package
maintainer to fix their issues, which may not be easy, (B) copy the
old code of the deprecated package and create an entirely new but
fixed CRAN package from it myself stripped to only the functionality I
need, which is not ideal of course, or (C) Kindly ask CRAN to put the
deprecated package back online for a couple of months while we look
out for a better solution?

Thanks,
Vincent