[R-pkg-devel] Checksums changed on CRAN without any visible modifications to files.

Joris Meys Jori@@Mey@ @ending from ugent@be
Wed Jun 13 15:40:20 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Uwe Ligges <ligges using statistik.tu-dortmund.de
> wrote:

> When CRAN repacks and changes the DESCRIPTION file, the checksums change,
> of course.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges

Dear Uwe,

I understood that from the previous issue. In this case however, none of
the files -including the DESCRIPTION file- were changed. Am I right in
suspecting that a package is repacked when moved to the archive? I suspect
that the tool used to repack the package is using gzip, and it is possible
to repack without adding a timestamp as explained here :

https://serverfault.com/questions/110208/different-md5sums-for-same-tar-contents

I can explain the different checksums when some things are changed to our
HPC sysadmins, but they have -understandibly- difficulties with checksums
changing for released source tarballs. Is it possible to adapt the
archiving so that at least for identical tarballs the md5 sums remain the
same? Or if you have other suggestions to deal with this without having to
change hardcoded checksums in the easybuild repos, that would be very
welcome too.

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/