[R-pkg-devel] Checksums changed on CRAN without any visible modifications to files.

Joris Meys Jori@@Mey@ @ending from ugent@be
Wed Jun 13 12:45:30 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I have another report of checksums for CRAN packages that changed without
any visible change to the package itself.

https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/6446

At the time of the release of R3.5, pkgmaker was at version 0.22. A bit
after the release, this version was archived and replaced by the new one
(0.27). Somewhere in that process the checksum for the tarball of version
0.22 changed.

The only explanation I can come up with, is that either because of the
release of R3.5 or because of the archiving the tarball was recreated and
has a different timestamp. That's the only way I know a MD5 checksum of a
tarball can change without any change to the files in there.

Anyone knows what is going on here, and how this can be circumvented at the
client side?

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/