[R-pkg-devel] FW: [CRAN-pretest-archived] CRAN submission bwt 1.1.0

Joris Meys Jori@@Mey@ @ending from ugent@be
Wed May 30 17:17:04 CEST 2018

Hi Khoong,

I'm going to address the elephant in the room: your package is not ready
for CRAN, and I'm not even sure CRAN is the right place for that code.

There's two large issues with your package, next to the license problem
Hugh pointed out already:

1. R code needs to be in subdirectory R, the Rd file needs to be in a
subdirectory called man. In the tar.gz file, both are in the main folder.
That's never going to work.

2. Your Rd file is seriously messed up. The name and alias contain what
should be the title, the title isn't filled in. I suggest you take a look
at roxygen2 to help you write the documentation, or go through Writing R
extensions again to check the details on the man pages.

\name{bwt}
\alias{ibwt}

will at least get the one warning about undocumented objects away.

3. The package in its entirity is 2 rather short functions. I'm not from
CRAN, but I don't know if that would pass the "non-trivial contribution"
test. You might want to think about a package that could import your code
rather than submitting a separate package. Not saying the code is not
valuable or the package has no place on CRAN, but you might get questions
on that and then it's better to be prepared with a good answer as to why
this really should be on CRAN.

Your error otoh looks like something that is not your fault. As far as I
know, having a test suite using testthat is not obligatory for a CRAN
package. Yet, CRAN did try to run the tests and errored because it couldn't
find any. I'll raise that at R-devel and see what's going on there.
Nevertheless, adding a few tests would be a good idea. testthat lets you do
that rather easily, and you can find more information in the vignettes of
that package and Hadley's book on writing packages.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Joris

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Hugh Parsonage <hugh.parsonage using gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are a few problems with the submission. Probably more than can
> be resolved by people on the mailing list. Speaking generally, a
> WARNING in a CRAN check is something that *must* be fixed, rather than
> something which you can just acknowledge. The two warnings that you
> mentioned are that you probably have (in your DESCRIPTION file)
>
> License: GNU General Public License v3.0
>
> when you should have
>
> License: GPL-3
>
> The second warning is about undocumented code objects. You can choose
> not to export them, but if you do export them as you currently are,
> you will need to document them.
>
> I notice that there are other problems too: consult the links in the
> auto-generated email from CRAN, see the 00check file. You should fix
> every problem until there are no ERRORS, WARNINGS, or NOTEs.
>

> Best.
>
> On 31 May 2018 at 00:03, khoong Wei Hao <khoongweihao using hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I encountered an issue during my submission of my package (see original
> message below).
> >
> > I ran checks and tests with testthat::test_dir("tests/") and
> devtoos::check(), and all seemed fine except some issues with undocumented
> objects which I did note in the .Rd file, and the documentation appeared in
> the console as I ran the package. The following is my R console output:
> >
> >> devtools::check()
> > Updating bwt documentation
> > First time using roxygen2. Upgrading automatically...
> > Warning: The existing 'NAMESPACE' file was not generated by roxygen2,
> and will not be overwritten.
> > Setting env vars ------------------------------
> > CFLAGS  : -Wall -pedantic
> > CXXFLAGS: -Wall -pedantic
> > Building bwt ------------------------------
> > "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.2/bin/x64/R" --no-site-file --no-environ
> --no-save --no-restore --quiet CMD build  \
> >   "C:\Users\khoongwh\Documents\bwt" --no-resave-data --no-manual
> >
> > * checking for file 'C:\Users\khoongwh\Documents\bwt/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> > * preparing 'bwt':
> > * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> > * checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
> > * checking for empty or unneeded directories Removed empty directory
> 'bwt/man'
> > Removed empty directory 'bwt/tests/testthat'
> > * building 'bwt_1.1.0.tar.gz'
> >
> > Setting env vars ------------------------------
> > _R_CHECK_CRAN_INCOMING_ : FALSE
> > _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_: FALSE
> > Checking bwt ------------------------------
> > "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.2/bin/x64/R" --no-site-file --no-environ
> --no-save --no-restore --quiet CMD check  \
> >   "C:\Users\khoongwh\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKmUMRO/bwt_1.1.0.tar.gz"
> --as-cran --timings --no-manual
> >
> > * using log directory 'C:/Users/khoongwh/AppData/
> Local/Temp/RtmpKmUMRO/bwt.Rcheck'
> > * using R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31)
> > * using platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32 (64-bit)
> [...]

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/