[R-pkg-devel] Creating S3 methods for S4 classes

Georgi Boshnakov georgi@bo@hn@kov @ending from m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Fri May 25 10:41:02 CEST 2018

Dear Martin,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the noise.

Georgi

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Maechler [mailto:maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch]
Sent: 25 May 2018 09:11
To: Georgi Boshnakov
Cc: Joris.Meys using ugent.be; R Package Development
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Creating S3 methods for S4 classes

    > Hi Joris, At least some aspects of this topic are of
    > interest on this list, given its complexity.

I'm sorry, Georgi, but "of interest" (to some readers) still
does not make this the correct mailing list for the topic,
rather really *does* belong to R-devel instead :

This has been about

- if an S4 generic for "predict" and similar
  generics should be instantiated in the (base R) 'stats4' package
  (==> change of R, not of a developer's package)

- and about good strategies to define S3 and S4 methods and generics
  (==> general advanced R programming, not directly related get a
       package accepted by CRAN standards)

Followups please on R-devel
((Unfortunately, because of severe spamming of people posting to
  the list, we have delayed archiving the official archives considerably for now;
  to still see the current thread on R-devel, you can use one of
  the *other* archives: ==> https://marc.info/?t=152716935600002&r=1&w=2 ))

Best,
Martin Maechler