[R-pkg-devel] why can't we importFrom 'methods' ?

Brian G. Peterson bri@n @ending from br@verock@com
Thu May 17 17:51:17 CEST 2018

newer versions of R require importFrom for functions from 'stats',
'graphics' and many other packages that used to be assumed to be on the
search path and thus available.

'methods' continues to have seemingly different treatment.

If you try to use importFrom to import a single function (in this case
'hasArg') from methods, you receive an ERROR from R CMD check

    Namespace dependency not required : 'methods'

but without the importFrom, you see a number of NOTE's

    no visible global function definition for 'hasArg'

I don't want to import all of 'methods', as I only need one function.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Brian

--