[R-pkg-devel] Byte-compilation problem for R-package ddalpha after update to R 3.5.0

MOZHAROVSKYI Pavlo pavlo.mozharovskyi at ensai.fr
Mon Apr 30 02:32:40 CEST 2018

After the R-update to version 3.5.0 there seems to be a problem with our
R-package ddalpha. As it seems that the problem is connected to the
newly introduced byte-compilation on installation, we feel unable to
locate its root cause and ask for your help.

During the byte-compilation of the package ddalpha (latest (CRAN)
version 1.3.2), an immense amount of memory (more than 4Gb) is consumed.
Further, byte-compilation takes at least several minutes to complete on
Windows and MacOS, while it throws an error on the Linux system where it
does not install at all:

Error message:
Error in system2(file.path(R.home("bin"), "R"), c(if (nzchar(arch))
paste0("--arch=",  :
   cannot popen ' '/usr/lib64/R/bin/R' --no-save --slave 2>&1 <
'/tmp/RtmpU4dXOt/file3fb5b89c507'', probable reason 'Cannot allocate memory'

We suspect a mistake in the design of our package and would appreciate
your advice. From our side, we are ready to undertake necessary actions
as soon as possible.

Here are the existing discussions on this topic:

- SO:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50028566/cannot-allocate-memory-while-re-installing-r-package-ddalpha-under-arch-linu
- Arch Linux: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236517
- RStudio Community: