[R-pkg-devel] How to write example results to a tempdir()?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:21:28 CEST 2018

On 25/04/2018 1:32 PM, Sarah Goslee wrote:
> Don't change the working directory! That has all kinds of unpleasant
> side effects for the unsuspecting user, possibly even more so than
> writing to a file.
>
> Instead, write the file to the temp directory, and read it from there, with e.g.
>
> wd <- tempdir()
> write(dat, file.path(wd, 'Ttest_1981-2000.dat'))
>
> Using file.path() means that the appropriate path delimiter for that
> OS will be used.

That's one good way to do it.  But it is possible to change directory
and change back at the end of the example.  For example,

wd <- tempdir()
savedir <- setwd(wd)

... # the original code that writes and reads in the current dir

setwd(savedir)

There's a worry that an error in the middle of the code will leave the
user in the wrong place.  If that's really unlikely to happen, then this
code is a little simpler than Sarah's suggestion.

If it is likely, you can use tryCatch(..., finally = setwd(savedir)),
but I think Sarah's solution would be preferable in most cases:  many
users will not understand what tryCatch() does.

Duncan Murdoch