[R-pkg-devel] some notes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:50:22 CEST 2018

On 24/04/2018 10:29 AM, Xubo Yue wrote:
> Hey
>
> I just got feedback from CRAN auto-checking and here are some notes I
> cannot resolve:
>
> * checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... NOTE
> Maintainer: 'Jian Kang <jiankang at umich.edu>'
>
> New submission
>
> Possibly mis-spelled words in DESCRIPTION:
>    Kang (7:196)
>
> I am not sure how to solve this.

You can ignore those.

> Also, here are some running time notes:
>
> ** running examples for arch 'i386' ... [250s] NOTE
> Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
>                            user system elapsed
> multipleRegion_plot     190.35   1.92  205.61
> summary_kcca              1.40   0.17   14.79
> permkCCA_multipleRegion   1.19   0.11   14.51
> nii2RData                 0.40   0.20   13.84
> ** running examples for arch 'x64' ... [79s] NOTE
> Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
>                           user system elapsed
> multipleRegion_plot     18.36   2.06   33.66
> permkCCA_multipleRegion  1.47   0.20   14.88
> summary_kcca             1.48   0.16   14.85
> nii2RData                0.62   0.23   14.09
> * checking PDF version of manual ... OK
> * DONE
>
> My total running time is less than 10 minutes. I am wondering is it ok to
> ignore these two NOTEs?

You shouldn't ignore those.  Your package will be tested many, many
times, and it will take more than 3 minutes for just one example.  (It
will be tested whenever any package you depend on is changed, to make
sure the change doesn't break yours.)

Use a smaller dataset, do less, or whatever you can to get the
multipleRegion_plot example down to a time similar to the other ones,
i.e. well below 10s in user+system time.

You don't have a lot of control of elapsed time because it will depend
on what else is happening on the test machine, but if the other times
are short, usually elapsed time will also be short.