[R-pkg-devel] GPL + other licence

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:45:11 CEST 2018

There are 3 solutions.  (1) You (get permission) to change the library to
GPL.  (2) You get permission to change the license of the R code to
whatever license the library is released under.  (3) you split the package.

You have investigated (1) and it does not work.  I would suggest thinking
about (2) provided the license of the library is decent.  This is what we
did with Rgraphviz some years ago; Graphviz itself is licensed under the
Eclipse public license and there was no way I could get a company to change
the license of that code.

I would do whatever I can to avoid splitting the package.

Best,
Kasper