[R-pkg-devel] Questions about making a database package (Rpolyhedra)

alejandro baranek alejandrobaranek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:26:55 CEST 2018

Hello group:

We released Rpolyhedra V0.2 last month. It is able to scrape +800 polyhedra
definitions from public sources. At V0.2.4 we are publishing only 150
because the time needed for scrape all the polyhedra, testing and the
resulting size of the package. The difference is a configuration in zzz.R,
very simple to change (Who wants to try it, can build the package for
themeselves)
Only the source files of polyhedra definitions are +12MB of size (We are
including it in the data folder for package self suficience).

But we have doubts about good practices for publishing a database package.

We think the solution is to split the package in an internal
Rpolyhedra-lib, opensource but not in CRAN, and Rpolyhedra with a catalog
sewhich enables to connect with that repo for downloading scraped polyhedra
on-demand.

We have to think further the way of connecting both repositories, but
before touching any code, want to listen to experienced package developers
and the community in general, about to do this.
Do you know any package with analog behavior than this package? We didn't
find it.

Best, Ale.
--
 alejandro baranek