[R-pkg-devel] Warning: rBind is deprecated-- but I don't call it

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Wed Mar 21 21:12:35 CET 2018

Thanks. I had suspected another package, but couldn’t figure out how to show that.

debug(Matrix::rBind)  shows that the problem is in lme4
#with
 debug(Matrix::rBind)

x.df <- structure(list(values = c(9, 6, 8, 7, 10, 6, 2, 1, 4, 1, 5, 2,
5, 3, 6, 2, 6, 4, 8, 2, 8, 6, 9, 7), items = structure(c(1L,
1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 3L,
3L, 4L, 4L, 4L, 4L, 4L, 4L), class = "factor", .Label = c("J1",
"J2", "J3", "J4")), id = structure(c(1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 6L,
1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 6L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 6L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L,
5L, 6L), .Label = c("S1", "S2", "S3", "S4", "S5", "S6"), class = "factor")), row.names = c(NA,
-24L), class = "data.frame")

mod.lmer <- lme4::lmer(values ~ 1 + (1 | id) + +(1 | items),
    data = x.df, na.action = na.omit)

#it calls rBind and then throws the warning which win.builder then calls and error.

Now, I will work on how to get around this (not use lmer?)  but at least now I know the problem.

Bill