[R-pkg-devel] How to (conditionally) use an archived package (without Suggests)?

meik michalke meik.michalke at hhu.de
Sun Feb 25 14:20:32 CET 2018

Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2018, 06:35:52 CET schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 25 February 2018 at 11:51, meik michalke wrote:
> | 'Additional_repositories' is meant for R package repositories, it won't
> | work  with source code git repos. if a package is in 'Suggests' and can't
> | be found
> You missed the part where we create packages ("R CMD build") out of source
> repos, and then place those packages in package repos.  That is what drat is
> for.

maybe you missed the part where the OP tried to use
https://github.com/waddella/loon in 'Additional_repositories'? AFAIK you can't
use a simple git source code repository of a package.

i'm maintaining various alternative repos myself ( https://reaktanz.de/R/ ;
https://files.kde.org/rkward/R/ ; https://undocumeantit.github.io/repos/l10n/
) using roxyPackage instead of drat.

> And with Additional_repositories, it plays with the install.packages() and
> update.packages() functions just as it should -- because package dependency
> resolution is a powerful mechanism we like to use whereever possible.

do you mean that a dependency is automatically fetched and installed from an
*alternative* repo configured via 'Additional_repositories'? i didn't get that
to work. i only ever managed CRAN to see that the package is there during
checks, but not install it.

take the 'sylly' package:
  https://cran.r-project.org/package=sylly

it has

  Additional_repositories: https://undocumeantit.github.io/repos/l10n

in its DESCRIPTION and suggests 'sylly.de', 'sylly.en', and 'sylly.es'. but
when i run

  install.packages("sylly", dependencies=TRUE)

i get:

  Warning: dependencies ‘testthat’, ‘sylly.de’, ‘sylly.en’, ‘sylly.es’ are not
    available

am i missing something?

viele grüße :: m.eik

--