[R-pkg-devel] How to (conditionally) use an archived package (without Suggests)?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 25 13:35:52 CET 2018

On 25 February 2018 at 11:51, meik michalke wrote:
| 'Additional_repositories' is meant for R package repositories, it won't work
| with source code git repos. if a package is in 'Suggests' and can't be found

You missed the part where we create packages ("R CMD build") out of source
repos, and then place those packages in package repos.  That is what drat is for.

And with Additional_repositories, it plays with the install.packages() and
update.packages() functions just as it should -- because package dependency
resolution is a powerful mechanism we like to use whereever possible.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org