[R-pkg-devel] New CRAN package assistance

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 7 12:48:30 CET 2018

On 7 February 2018 at 21:54, Huw Campbell wrote:
| I have just submitted a package for CRAN which works on my Mac and linux
| boxes, but there are notes for Windows and my license file. There is little
| indication as to what the actual problems are.
|
| The library is a simple binding for the snappy compression library. I have
| been rather meticulous, using sound property based testing (through my port
| of the hedgehog <https://github.com/hedgehogqa/r-hedgehog> library) and
| appropriate R data structures
|
| Package source is here
| https://github.com/HuwCampbell/snappier
|
| and the CRAN check results are here
| https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/180207_112224_snappier_0010/00check.log
|
| Any help would be appreciated in solving these two issues (a third issue
| regarding R versions I think can be resolved by removing the specified
| version bound on R).

This is pretty basic stuff we discussed here many times:

   * checking compiled code ... NOTE
   File 'snappier/libs/i386/snappier.dll':
     Found no calls to: 'R_registerRoutines', 'R_useDynamicSymbols'
   File 'snappier/libs/x64/snappier.dll':
     Found no calls to: 'R_registerRoutines', 'R_useDynamicSymbols'

   It is good practice to register native routines and to disable symbol
   search.

   See 'Writing portable packages' in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.
   * checking examples ...

This is indeed discussed at length in 'Writing R Extensions', which happens
to come with your installation of R.  I also wrote three different blog posts
about how to create such init routines (easily, more easily, easiest).

If you were to use Rcpp (which you don't have to, of course) then the
routines would have been written for you automatically.

The other is a simple 'R (>= 3.3.1)' not matching the "end in zero" requirement
so please make it 'R (>= 3.3.0)'.

The one about the LICENSE is fine.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org