[R-pkg-devel] Resize PDF Vignettes in Source Package

Marius PASCARIU rpascariu at outlook.com
Wed Jan 10 08:08:23 CET 2018

Dear all,

I want to add PDF vignettes to my package created with rmarkdown. The PDFs are generated without problems. If I submit the package to CRAN I would a warning telling me that the files are too large (see below):

checking sizes of PDF files under 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
 'gs+qpdf' made some significant size reductions:
    compacted 'Manual.pdf' from 370Kb to 116Kb
 consider running tools::compactPDF(gs_quality = "ebook") on these files

I do run `tools::compactPDF(gs_quality = "ebook”)` and the size of the PDF is indeed reduced to 116Kb. Now, if I build again the source package using `R CMD build <package_name>` the vignette is reconstructed at its original size (370Kb). However, If I build the package using `R CMD build <package_name> --no-build-vignettes` in order to keep the small PDF, the check would throw me the following NOTE:

Package has a VignetteBuilder field but no prebuilt vignette index.

Any ideas how can I include the compacted PDFs in the souce package and have a vignette index in the same time?

Thanks!

Cordially,
Marius Pascariu