[R-pkg-devel] Portable method of stripping debug symbols

Christopher Lalansingh Christopher.Lalansingh at oicr.on.ca
Wed Jan 3 22:59:08 CET 2018

Hello all,

I'm running into troubles with the total size of my package and I've found that when using Rcpp, one can reduce the size of shared objects by stripping out debug symbols by including `-Wl,-S' in PKG_LIBS. Unfortunately this is not portable with Solaris, and using ifeq in my Makevars file to check for SunOS isn't portable either.

I came across an Issue on github (https://github.com/RcppCore/Rcpp/issues/522) which addresses possible ways to do this portably, but I can't find reference to // [[Rcpp::plugins(strip)]] in any other documentation. If anyone has run into this before and has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Christopher Lalansingh
Software Engineer

Direct: 647-258-4313

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
MaRS Centre, West Tower
661 University Ave, Suite 510
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 0A3

This message and any attachments may contain confidentia...{{dropped:12}}