[R-pkg-devel] Fwd: R CMD check and strange ## Not run strings

Georgi Boshnakov georgi.boshnakov at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 18:35:44 CET 2017

… and my point was that it is not a matter of syntax, but that the user would better be alerted.

A user would be more confused and even irritated if they run an example and get surprises (such as having to wait a long time) or not getting any wiser.

The example you cite falls into the category of ‘template examples’  - it is not really meant to be run as is.
You almost certainly will never encounter message 12345, for example.   In fact, it would probably give error.  This is a nice illustration of the usefulness of ‘Not run’ to give a sort of warning.
I bet that the package you have taken it from contains similar examples in other places, so a user will become aware of this.

Merry Christmas,
Georgi