[R-pkg-devel] Question on Notes for Package Submission

Iñaki Úcar i.ucar86 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:07:06 CEST 2017

Hi,

The messages are quite clear:

> Dear Sir,
>
> We've just uploaded a package with two notes that we couldn't figure out
> how to deal with it. They are:
>
> 1) * checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
>
> est.changepoints: no visible global function definition for
>   'prior_normal_A'
> est.changepoints: no visible binding for global variable 'data.X'
> est.changepoints: no visible global function definition for
>   'prior_pois'
> Undefined global functions or variables:
>   data.X prior_normal_A prior_pois

These are checks for undefined functions and variables. Sometimes,
non-standard evaluation causes this kind of message, but without a
link to the source code, it's impossible for me to assess the problem.
There are dozens of excellent posts about this topic though, so I
shall not elaborate on it any further.

For instance: https://stackoverflow.com/q/9439256/6788081

> 2) * checking compiled code ... NOTE
>
> File 'StepSignalMargiLike/libs/i386/StepSignalMargiLike.dll':
>   Found no calls to: 'R_registerRoutines', 'R_useDynamicSymbols'
> File 'StepSignalMargiLike/libs/x64/StepSignalMargiLike.dll':
>   Found no calls to: 'R_registerRoutines', 'R_useDynamicSymbols'
>
> It is good practice to register native routines and to disable symbol
> search.
>
> See 'Writing portable packages' in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

This is mandatory since v3.4.0 and should issue a warning if I'm not
mistaken. Please, read "Writing R Extensions" carefully as the message
is exhorting you. This and further readings:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Registering-native-routines
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2017/03/29/#001_easy_package_registration
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2017/03/30/#002_even_easier_package_registration

Regards,