[R-pkg-devel] Changing a package's name

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Jun 13 16:50:54 CEST 2017

On 13.06.2017 15:40, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 13/06/2017 7:29 AM, Michael Dewey wrote:
>> Dear David
>>
>> It is your package and you can choose the name you prefer. If you feel
>> uncomfortable with the current one then change it. I do not think anyone
>> else's opinion is relevant unless a package author picks a name that all
>> right thinking people would find offensive.
>
> However, CRAN's opinion is relevant if you want them to distribute it
> for you.  Name changes cause extra work for them so please don't do it
> unnecessarily, and if you do think it's necessary, explain your
> reasoning to them when you submit.

OK, it appears I have to say a word:

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread so far.
Indeed, Duncan is right, and not only the work required to get it done
is relevant, also the effort for users to recognize the name change and
the fact that the old name is reserved for the CRAN namespace and nobody
else can submit another package under such a name is an issue to be
considered.

So for the archives, as Duncan says: You have to have a very good reason
to justify publication of an updated package under a new name.

Best,
Uwe Ligges