[R-pkg-devel] Changing a package's name

Joris Meys Joris.Meys at ugent.be
Mon Jun 12 17:18:35 CEST 2017

I'll chime in from the other side of the ocean: I didn't even know that the
Huxtables was their family name, and I've watched the Cosby show often as a
kid. I did a quick check in the office and of the 12 R users I asked,
exactly 0 knew who the Huxtables were.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Cheers
Joris

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Dason Kurkiewicz <dasonk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Honestly I'm from the US and know about the scandal with Cosby but
> don't think that it would be an issue for your package.  First off
> it's the name of the fictional family - not Bill Cosby's name
> directly. There are more members of the family than just what Bill
> portrayed.  If you show me anybody that sees your package name and
> says something like "well I guess that author is for sexual assault"
> then I doubt they're really thinking at a capacity to do any sort of
> real work anyways.  There are other "Huxtable"s that exist by the way:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Louise_Huxtable is a prime example
> that comes to mind for me.  A quote from Carter Wiseman: "Huxtable's
> insistence on intellectual rigor and high design standards made her
> the conscience of the national architectural community".  That doesn't
> seem like a bad person to have an association with if you ask me.
>
> Changing the package's name seems to be much too high of a cost (if
> even possible) to shake the extremely loose association one might see
> the package having with Bill Cosby.  It's not like you called your
> package "ISIS". I would highly recommend just not worrying about it.
>
> -Dason Kurkiewicz
>
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Fox, John <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> > Dear David,
> >
> > No one at CRAN has responded yet, so I'll take a stab at it.
> >
> > First, you're right about the resonance of "huxtable" for North
> Americans, and if the package were mine, I'd be slightly embarrassed about
> the name.
> >
> > CRAN generally will not allow you to rename a package, for several
> obvious reasons: For example, packages that depend on yours would break
> (but there don't appear to be any yet), users might be confused, and there
> would be a discontinuity in archived versions of the package. See <
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2013-August/067264.html> for a
> comment by one of the CRAN maintainers about renaming packages.
> >
> > You could, however, ask the CRAN maintainers for a dispensation,
> explaining the reason for the desired change.
> >
> > Best,
> >  John
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > John Fox, Professor
> > McMaster University
> > Hamilton, Ontario
> > Canada L8S 4M4
> > web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel : +32 9 264 59 87
Joris.Meys at Ugent.be