[R-pkg-devel] Changing a package's name

Dason Kurkiewicz dasonk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:58:14 CEST 2017

Hi David,

Honestly I'm from the US and know about the scandal with Cosby but
don't think that it would be an issue for your package.  First off
it's the name of the fictional family - not Bill Cosby's name
directly. There are more members of the family than just what Bill
portrayed.  If you show me anybody that sees your package name and
says something like "well I guess that author is for sexual assault"
then I doubt they're really thinking at a capacity to do any sort of
real work anyways.  There are other "Huxtable"s that exist by the way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Louise_Huxtable is a prime example
that comes to mind for me.  A quote from Carter Wiseman: "Huxtable's
insistence on intellectual rigor and high design standards made her
the conscience of the national architectural community".  That doesn't
seem like a bad person to have an association with if you ask me.

Changing the package's name seems to be much too high of a cost (if
even possible) to shake the extremely loose association one might see
the package having with Bill Cosby.  It's not like you called your
package "ISIS". I would highly recommend just not worrying about it.

-Dason Kurkiewicz