[R-pkg-devel] Package submission - Issue with pandoc in R CMD check

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jun 3 15:30:23 CEST 2017

On 27 May 2017 at 22:18, Emmanuel Blondel wrote:
| Dear Uwe, i clearly understand the CRAN team needs time on this. I have
| no problem in postponing on my side, and resubmit later next month.

As the problem appears to be somewhat hard and rooted in two areas that are
difficult to effectuate change in (as in: "we" control neither the pandoc
binary, nor the img.shields.io webserver) I took a somewhat more pessimistic
view of coming changes and ... simply coded around the problem by

  i)   caching a copy of the badge I needed in a new GitHub repository

  ii)  enabling the web server feature of the repo

  iii) reference that cached copy

See the new repo 'badges' at

  https://github.com/eddelbuettel/badges

and a first use in my RcppArmadillo package

  https://github.com/RcppCore/RcppArmadillo/blob/master/README.md

which is currently simmering for already well over twenty-four hours at a low
temperature in the incoming area of our favourite repository.

By using the cached copy a simple static file from a (working) server, all
issues with pandoc are avoided.  So far it only has "my default" license
badge, it would of course be trivial add others so PR away.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org