[R-pkg-devel] CRAN and cmake

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Tue May 23 18:36:13 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-23 10:56 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 23 May 2017 at 10:34, Thibault Vatter wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Back in 2015, there was a discussion on this list about CRAN and cmake.
> |
> | As explained by Gabor at the time, it would be useful to have cmake in a R
> | package.
> |
> | Furthermore, Gregory mentioned that there was something available on GitHub:
> |
> | https://github.com/stnava/cmaker
> |
> | Since it seems that the package was CRAN-ready two years ago, I wondered
> | what happened?
> |
> | Would an R package containing cmake be accepted in CRAN?
>
> Yes. Many of them do.
>
> A nice benefit of Gabor's CRAN mirror on GitHub is access to the GitHub.
> Here I constrain on user:cran (to get just that mirror, and nothing) and
> CMakeLists.txt.  Seems to find 47 repos -- corresponding to 47 packages.
>
> https://github.com/search?q=user%3Acran+CMakeLists.txt&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93

       How did you construct that search string?

       Do you think something like this should be added to some other
general search capability like the sos or CRANsearcher packages?

       I ask in part, because there will be a session at useR!2017 on
"NAVIGATING THE R PACKAGE UNIVERSE", and this seems possibly relevant to
that discussion.  (That session is scheduled for Wed. July 5, from 17:00
- 18:30.  The organizers of that session expect that a fair portion of
that time will be devoted to discussion of other possibilities, hoping
we can build a team who will work to improve the ability of users to
find what they want.  See
"https://user2017.brussels/news/2017/navigating-the-r-package-universe".)

       Spencer Graves