[R-pkg-devel] CRAN and cmake

Thibault Vatter thibault.vatter at gmail.com
Tue May 23 18:27:37 CEST 2017

My bad, my question was not precise enough: by "an R package containing
cmake", I meant "an R package containing cmake itself" in order to be able
to use cmake e.g. when building an R package from source.

A little bit of context: I am trying to write an R interface to a C++
library where cmake was used instead of autotools, I would like my
configure.ac file to contain something like:

$("${R_HOME}/bin/Rscript download.file(url='${LIBRARY_URL}',
destfile='${LIBRARY_TGZ}')")
$("${R_HOME}/bin/Rscript untar(tarfile='${LIBRARY_TGZ}')")
$("${R_HOME}/bin/Rscript cmake('LIBRARY/CMakeLists.txt')")

In https://github.com/stnava/cmaker/issues/2, it was mentioned that the
cmaker package was refused from CRAN mostly because of a cross-platform
issue (mostly windows portability).

Concerning the cross-platform issue for windows, Gabor suggested to
"download [the cmake binaries] at install time, like the rest of the
rwinlib stuff".

Therefore, I wonder whether it would be wort trying to work on an updated
version of cmaker or if this is indeed "dead in the water".

Best,
Thibault